You have probably heard of dermal fillers before. You may be wondering what they are and whether it is something you should get. Dermal fillers are a popular treatment for signs of aging and for keeping the skin looking youthful. It is used to treat wrinkles and folds, and also to plump the lips and other facial features. Read on to learn more about dermal fillers, if they are safe, how long the effects last, and if they’re for you.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are a non-surgical cosmetic procedure that is used to treat signs of aging like fine lines, wrinkles, and loose skin. Dermal fillers, in basic terms, are usually a gel that is injected beneath the skin. Dermal fillers can enhance your features and make you appear younger. There are a few different kinds of dermal fillers.
A licensed health provider will discuss which kind of dermal filler is right for you. The following is a list of several different types of dermal fillers:
- Hyaluronic acid, which sugar that is naturally occurring in the body
- Calcium hydroxylapatite, which is a mineral that is a component of bones
- Poly-L-lactic acid, which is a biodegradable material
- Polymethylmethacrylate, which is the only one not absorbed by the body and is made of bovine collagen; it is a solution with beads in it
Are Dermal Fillers Safe?
Getting dermal fillers is a very safe procedure. The side effects of dermal fillers are few and very rare. However, there is always a risk with any procedure. Some of the risks of dermal fillers are listed below:
- Pimples that can look like acne
- Itching and a rash
- Asymmetrical look to the face
- Painful swelling and redness, bleeding and bruising
- Damage to your skin, even scarring
- Infection, which can cause considerable damage to the skin
- Lumps or bumps
- Difficulty using the hands; if injected into the back of hands
- Can cause allergic reactions; testing for allergens is recommended before the procedure
How Long do Dermal Fillers Last?
How long can you expect the effects of your dermal filler treatment to last? Many people see results right away; for others, it can take longer. The results of dermal fillers are temporary. These results usually last for 6-12 months, but some can last as long as 2-5 years. How long the effects last depends on what type of dermal filler you get.
Who Should get Dermal Fillers?
Are dermal fillers right for you? Dermal fillers are recommended for those aged 22 and older to treat specific things. If you are showing signs of aging like wrinkles, folds, loose skin on your cheeks, jowls, under your eyes, or on the backs of your hands, then dermal fillers may be a good choice for you. If you have thin lips, dermal fillers are a good way to make them appear plumper. Those who are HIV positive may need to use dermal fillers to treat facial lipoatrophy.
Dermal Fillers Services at Advanced Esthetics
At Advanced Esthetics, we have the dermal filler services you need. A licensed health professional will help you smooth the lines and wrinkles in your face or hands. We use only the best dermal fillers from Juvederm, with the most natural and longest-lasting results. Contact Advanced Esthetics today to book a consultation.